Situated at the entrance to the National Park in County Kerry with the Killarney Lakes and MacGillycuddy’s Reeks as a backdrop, Killarney House is a two storey building surrounding a quadrangle courtyard. We were delighted to be involved in the conservation and restoration of this important building along with a new build extension which provides exhibition spaces and new offices.
The entire house was refurbished including insulation to roofs, a variety of structural repairs and insertions, two new passenger lifts and stairs. New limestone floors were laid alongside solid timber floors. Existing joinery was refurbished where possible and new joinery added where necessary. Fireproofing works including new fire doors were installed. New mechanical and electrical services were added.
A new extension was constructed wrapping around the south-east corner of the house. It contains a new reception, WC and audio visual spaces. Within the new extension, the lime-rendered wall of the old house acts as the internal wall of the reception. Timber glulam beams knit the new zinc roof together. Random stone walls flank the ramp and paved forecourt. The boiler equipment is housed in a farmhouse building located some 50m away while landscaping works were undertaken around the house.
Location Killarney, Co. Kerry
Surface 1500 m2
Year Completed 2015
Client National Parks & Wildlife Service
Architect Niall Parsons, OPW Architecture
Engineers Sean Balfe and Kieran Walsh, OPW Engineers
Quantity Surveyors JJ Casey & Co