Newman University Church is a well-known city centre landmark and Protected Structure on St. Stephen’s Green. Dating from the 1860’s, the church required upgrade works including new underfloor heating, new lighting and various repairs and alterations.
Two new 3m diameter coronas were hung from winches installed in the attic space to provide new lighting features.
The clay floor tiles were lifted and cleaned. The floor was excavated to facilitate the underfloor heating system. The salvaged floor tiles were re-used and replacement clay tiles were sourced by Lissadell from yards in the UK. The excavation of the floor and new floor construction was extremely difficult given the city centre location on a busy thoroghfare. Transportation of materials had to be undertaken via the front door onto St. Stephen’s Green.
New and refurbished joinery was installed with universal access ironmongery. A new disabled access platform lift was installed in the front foyer.
Protection of existing features was a significant issue during the project, in particular where heavy plant was used in the excavation of the floors. Marble-clad walls were protected, marble altars, pulpits and also the numerous columns were all similarly treated during the works.