St. Paul’s Church, Glenageary first opened its doors in 1868. It was reported in the Daily Express at the time and described as follows:
“The church of St Paul is of the gothic style of architecture and although not large, is extremely tasteful and imposing. The building measures 101 ft. 6 in. internally by 35 ft. 6 inches wide and 55 ft. 6 inches high to the ridge. It comprises a Nave and Chancel measuring 18 ft. 6 inches by 21 ft. It is in the Decorative style and has at the south west corner a tower and spire raising to a height of 120 ft. to the top of the iron Finial.
The aim of this project was to carry out works necessary to protect and preserve the building fabric as well as the renewal of the heating and electrical installations, and ensuring compliance of the building with Safety and Building Regulations.
The project required the restoration of the stained-glass windows, installation of secondary glazing, repair and replacement of Caen stone traceries as well as stone pointing and repairs generally.
Slate roof repair and replacement was carried out along with reinstatement of copper valleys and new lead cappings. Mechanical and electrical services were upgraded along with various joinery works. Structural strengthening was undertaken within the attic space where secondary rafters were introduced and steel plates fitted to strengthen purlins. New battens were installed to strengthen the ceiling panels. Repair works were carried out to the bells including refurbishment of the clappers and replacement of hangers and supports. Specialist ironwork repairs to finials were also undertaken.